Saturday, June 09, 2012

Rev. William Henry Cully: Probate Record #1

My 2nd Great Grandfather William H. Cully was born in 1833 to William H. Cully, Sr. and Mary Barker in New Bern, North Carolina.  


William's father, William H. Cully, Sr was born free in 1800 to his mother Prewilla Cully who had been a free person of color.This family line may not have ever been in slavery or they were free at least since the 1700's. [More research will need to be done as the family stories handed down are that the Cully's were of Native American Heritage and Irish Born.  The Cully's assimilated into the African American population as early as the 1800's, and were labeled as mulatto.


My 2nd Great Grandfather William H Cully died in 1902 as I had found in a New Bern, NC newspaper announcement.  This was the first document that I had found that recorded his death.





So of course I was ecstatic when I came across William's probate record from 1902, which included 24 pages.  It has given me much more insight on the lives of my ancestors as farmers and land owners in the town of New Bern.  


The first page of William Henry Cully's probate record:


[Abstracted]


STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA,
Craven COUNTY
In the matter of administration of the estate of
W. H. Cully deceased,
To W.M. Watson, CLERK SUPERIOR COURT CRAVEN COUNTY
Take notice, that the undersigned, widow of W. H. Cully deceased and respectfully asks that George W. Cully may be appointed as the administrator of said estate in her stead.
This 31st day of August 1902
Nancy E Cully
X
Mark

Witness:
James B Robinson


George W. Cully, the administrator of the estate is the son of William H. & Nancy Cully.  James B. Robinson, witness is the son-in-law who married their daughter Melvina.  Seeing these few family names confirmed that I had the correct family that I was researching. 

Let's see what the next page has to reveal...

No comments:

Post a Comment