Saturday, February 04, 2012

Not So Amanuensis & Mappy Monday: Hope Cemetery Map And My Ancestors Buried There: Part #2

     On January 10, 2012, I received an e-mail message from My Cousin's husband on my genealogy website contact form.  He stated to me, "I have recently started to trace our family tree and believe there may be a connection to my wife's grandfather 'Leander Singleton Gilliam' through your great-grandmother 'Hannah Gilliam' (as described in your genealogy blog).  If interested in more info, please contact me."

     I responded to him via e-mail and then on the phone.  We quickly discussed the fact that my Hannah [Singleton-Nelson] Gilliam was my Great Great Grandmother and that Leander Singleton Gilliam would have to be her son.  Hannah carried her slave name Singleton, and Gilliam was her married name.

  My cousin's husband informed me that his wife was white and they were surprised to see mulatto on one of the US Census records for Leander when he lived in North Carolina.  The Census records in Worcester, MA for the years 1900-1930, Leander and his family are listed as White.  I informed Hank that my 2x Grandmother Hannah was very fair and so was her sister Jane B. Collins, as they could pass as White.  Some family members chose to pass and others did not.

     Even though I was having this conversation with a Gilliam descendant, I still was not positive that this Leander was Hannah's son.

     A few day's ago, I was sent me a map of Hope Cemetery that had writing on the back of it in Leander's (assumed) handwriting. This map clearly proved that my Cully, Gilliam, Collins family were related.  I was also sent  photo's of Leander and his three sons, as I will present on a later post.

Hope Cemetery, Worcester Mass Section Map
Markings of where family is buried
Plot 76 is where my 2X Grandmother Hannah Gilliam & My Cully, Collins family is buried.


Writing on the Back of the Hope Cemetery Section Map

[Transcribed]

Perpetual Care See Mr. Burbank, Superintendent

Hannah Gilliam  1839-1914
Lot 5817
Sec 76

Joseph A Collins
1831-1911
Jane B. Collins
1840-1925
Lot 6772
Sec 76

Nora J Cully [wrong Nora...see note below]
1870-1911
6772
Sec 76

6567

There were one discrepancy as Nora J A Cully was the daughter of Nora A Cully and she was the one buried in Plot 6772, Section 76.  She was born 1911 and died in 1936.  The mother was buried in Plot 6767, Section 76.

See my prior post Hope Cemetery-Part #1 at this link.



Copyright
The material, both written and photographic on these pages is the copyright of Yvette Porter Moore unless stated. Material on this site may be used for personal reference only. If you wish to use any of the material on this site for other means, please seek the written permission of Yvette Porter Moore
© 2010-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment