Monday, January 16, 2012

Older African American Neighborhood in Worcester, Massachusetts: Mappy Monday

     Researching the neighborhood my Cully, Gilliam, and Collins families resided, I came across a website "Homes and Housing Patterns of People of Color in Worcester 1888,"  with research by Kathryn Mahoney and Jacqui McEttrick who presented the neighborhood map of the Older African American Community during that time.  The two street names that popped out at me were John and Bowdoin Streets.  During a research trip to Worcester, MA public library in January 2011, I went through every city directory (1879-1932) of Worcester and documented that my family had resided in homes on John and Bowdoin Street.

     On this map there is a listing of head of households, their occupation and their address.  My Great Great Grandmother Hannah Gilliam is listed as (Hannah Gillum) as a laundress and residing at 66 John Street.


     I love it when I find information on the World Wide Web that helps to confirm and document information that I have discovered.  This information is also very important to me as I also want to know more about Hannah's neighbors.

© Yvette Porter Moore-All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment