Thursday, November 03, 2011

Zara Frances Cully Brown: First Fruits of Freedom-The Title

I am taking my time reading First Fruits of Freedom by Janette Thomas Greenwood . I wanted to make a quick comment about the reading as of date. I have not gotten very far as I am on chapter #2.  What I have found very interesting about the meaning of the Title of the book, is that First Fruits (without going into detail) represents the first born generation after Slavery, of the civil war and during the Reconstruction Period in History (and it stands for the promises of equality and obtaining the American Dream.)

As I came to the understanding of the title, I connected it with Zara Frances Cully Brown's generation as she was born in 1892.  Zara's father Ambrose E. Cully was the only member of his immediate family that migrated to Worcester, Massachusetts from New Bern, North Carolina.  Ambrose followed neighborhood friends and their families who prepared the migration path at least 8 to 10 years prior to his arrival into Worcester, MA in 1889 or 1890.

I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the individuals in First Fruits of Freedom. As I gather more information surrounding what I have read, I will post my discoveries.

There is an article in the Worcester Telegram by Jacqueline Reis that tells more about the book and the author.  If you are interested go to this Link  PATH TO FREEDOM

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great read. I will have to check this out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is...and I think you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete