Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Not so Wordless Wednesday: Agnes Cully Peters' Fashions in the Newspaper

I am so grateful to ProQuest as they made their African American History available for free during the first half of Black History Month to researchers and anyone interested in exploring their Black History Collection.  This was available a few years ago, and I had the opportunity to collect lots of articles connected to my family.  This year was different as I collected more that had not been in the database from the first time I researched.

I decided for this Wordless Wednesday, I would showcase one of the articles regarding my maternal Grandmother Agnes Mae [Cully] Peters.  I have shared before that she was a fashion designer in the 30's-50's in Harlem, New York.  I hope to actually make this into a series to showcase her many newspaper articles as I find them fascinating as the people in the community felt that the events were news worthy.


This is a gown my grandmother Agnes Cully Peters designed and sewed for the Winter Fashions Collection show.  Miss Ruth King was a regular model for Agnes and continued modeling even after my grandmother moved to Los Angeles in 1953.

6 comments:

  1. How awesome is that! Thanks for sharing this info with me, I'd love to know more. Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you were able to find more articles regarding your family this time. I have to thank you again for posting about the free access to ProQuest on your facebook page. I am sorting through articles still and hope to blog about a couple in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading my blog Lynette! I look forward to sharing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, You are more than welcome. I wish Proquest had allowed their database to remain open all month as it would have given us more time to find more information.

    I am so happy that you were able to find some articles. I look forward to you sharing.

    I love your blog and always enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the gown, so feminine and the model does it justice.

    ReplyDelete