Friday, January 13, 2012

Worcester, Postcard History Series

     I love looking at old postcards of the cities and towns where my family resided.  I purchased this really cool book on Worcester that published old postcards of the town in Massachusetts.  I am  posting a few of the postcards of the places that I know my family were present on a regular basis.  The book's authors and contributors are Frank J. Morrill, William O. Hultgren, and Eric J. Salomonsson.

Front Cover of book

Postcards Below:


Worcester Boys Trade School
My Great Uncle Osborne Ambrose Cully attended Worcester Boys Trade School in Massachusetts.  He graduated in 1917 at the top of his class learning the trade of electrician.  Osborne was born in 1889 and died in the early 1930's.


High School of Commerce: At one time it was Classical High School, which
was located on Walnut street.  It had been designed by architect Henry Hobson Richardson.
The School was dedicated on December 30, 1871.

My Great Uncle Wendell Phillip Culley attended and graduated from High School of Commerce in 1925.  He was the band leader at his school, and played the coronet and trumpet.

Worcester Country Club
I am not very familiar with Worcester Country Club, but I had found in earlier research a listing of members to this club.  I am not positive if they allowed Black members, but my Great Grandfather Ambrose E. Cully was so fair that he passed for white.  At the time of his membership, he had been widowed and his children were grown.  He would be mistaken as a White man, so I gather in 1920, they thought of him as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment